Friday, March 31, 2006

Library Anxiety

Research has shown "library anxiety" exists among college students. Constance Mellon has contributed vastly to this field through her studies. Information for our project on IM reference demonstrated the same truth--leaving ones' chair for the reference desk to ask a question can be stressful, or intimidating. I read a very interesting article which related the variable of academic procrastination to library anxiety. The authors could not be more right. Anthony Onwuegbuzie and Qun G. Jiao found a positive correlation between students who procrastinated and those with library anxiety.

What I like about the article is they show postive correlation, but the relationship is not necessarily causal. My assumption is that students who have library anxiety have trouble finding research, and because they fear failure, procrastinate until they are in a pinch to get the research they need, either through ILL or Internet. Conversely, one could argue people who procrastinate put off going to the library anyway, and after it is too late, they are afraid of asking for help while being cut down to the wire.

Entering my second semester of this program, I wonder if I too suffer from the same anxiety, even though I am going to be a future librarian. How many library students ask other librarians every day at the reference desk how to find information on a certain topic? Or for plain help?

I think library students are under even more pressure. I feel sometimes like "I should know the answer because I'm a library student. Why can't I find the information I am looking for?" and instead of asking (which would save time and be beneficial to my understanding of how to search) I choose searching alone. I wonder how many LIS students feel the same.

My advise would be to always ask even if you feel stupid, because the people who ask questions are usually the ones who find out more information and are better able to understand information in the future.

My brother always says if you ask questions to your professors now and look stupid, you won't look stupid in front of your boss. He's right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home