Wednesday, March 01, 2006

LOVE!!!!

"Don't let school interfere with you education.” --Mark Twain.

My education usually involves researching one topic, and spending hours upon hours clicking on equality inspiring, yet non-related or pseudo-related, articles that arrive in my search. While researching important library information this week, I stumbled across unique part of the National Geographic website. How often do you read National Geographic and wonder what the photographers are thinking and feeling?:


That Thing Called Love


National Geographic photographers traipse country by country gathering ethnographic information. Jodi Cobb travels the world snapping images of love. (Tangent: What a great profession!) The website provides a FREE casting of Cobb describing her career, intermingled with images and music. The video is stunning. I recommend everyone take an educational study-break this week and simply observe.

The video caused me to think differently about love. I was, and this is completely my observation, amazed at how DIFFERENTLY love was portrayed through her images than through advertisements and the media. Planning a July wedding, I’ve been bombarded by images of the perfect groom next to the perfect bride. Don’t forget the equally perfectly frosted wedding cake. As Cobb describes in the piece:

“I didn’t want to just photograph weddings. That’s, I think, sort of what’s expected. I didn’t want to do a Valentine. I didn’t want to do a Hallmark card notion of love because anyone who’s ever really been in love knows that’s not the reality. So I was just very much very interested in trying to show real life in cultures all over the world.”

Since I do not know much about podcasting, could this be considered a podcast? I don’t know what to call it. Documentary? They call it a video. If anyone knows what to call this fascinating work, let me know.

However it is defined, it is beautiful. Thank you National Geographic for making this resource available to us. And Thank-You Jodi Cobb for providing evidence that love is, in fact, real.

AFTER THOUGHT: After I let this idea simmer, I wondered how this could be applied to libraries. The answer came slowly, but still, worth an update. How cool would it be to show the podcast through the library's website, with links to various print holdings of National Geographic that contain Cobb's work? This would not only allow users to bush off dusty covers of material purchased years back, but would get them involved in finding other podcasts to pear with print holdings. I invision many web pages with extensive bibliographies shooting forth from the podcast starting point. Ranford University in Radford, Virginia, coincidentally, has a whole National Geographic Section of the TRC, and workshops are held to help people navigate the collection. And how cool would it be to give back to interviewees like Cobb through this kind of outreach. Now that's love!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home