Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Who are your Users?

I had only been to the Oak Park Public Library a few times, during early morning hours. The users were predominately mothers with young children and retired folks. You can image my surprise when I visited in the late afternoon and observed a completely DIFFERENT situation. Junior-high and high-school students freed from class were zooming between stacks, conversing by the cafe, and wandering through the gallery. My first impression was, "My experience would be TOTALLY DIFFERENT depending on my shift."

This caused me to wonder if library workers in the exact same environment, have completely DIFFERENT perceptions of users.

1 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

We have much the same experience at our library and I love it, though I think I'm in the minority. Come 3:00, our library is usually filled with kids from the 3 nearby schools, from 1-8th grade. A lot of them come to do homework, many come for the games and the music they can listen to on the computers. I just love the fact that they are comfortable in our library. Many of then visit every day during the week.

Since this is my first library job, I have often wondered if this is a typical experience at other libraries. It seems like a cool place to hangout for our kids. Have other people had the same experience?

1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home